GWO Fire Awareness Training
Duration: Half Day
A fire in a wind turbine generator can have devastating consequences in terms of rebuilding costs, business interruption and loss of public confidence. In many cases these fires could have been easily avoided through regular preventative measures or prompt emergency actions.
A basic understanding of the principles of fire prevention and the emergency actions required during a fire can significantly reduce the number and severity of fires and fire related injuries.
The course aims to provide candidates with the basic knowledge and skills to prevent fires, conduct initial and appropriate judgement when evaluating a fire, manage the evacuation of personnel to ensure all are safely evacuated and accounted for in the event of an unmanageable fire, and, to efficiently extinguish an initial fire by using basic hand held fire fighting equipment.
The Fire Awareness module is designed to ensure that candidates are able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the development and spread of fire
- Knowledge of the causes of fires in wind turbines and the dangers related to this
- The identification of any signs of a fire in a wind turbine environment
- Knowledge of the contingency plans in a wind turbine environment including smoke detection and emergency escape procedures
- Correct actions on discovering a fire including correct operation and fire extinguishing by means of the fire fighting equipment in a wind turbine generator